There’s something special about shopping at a craft fair that simply can’t be duplicated by your regular run of the mill retail experience. Perusing aisles, stalls and booths of handmade specialty items is so much more intimate and personal than popping in to the local mega mall.
Here are the top 5 things we love about craft fairs:
1. Handmade, one-of-a-kind items. How many times have you spotted someone wearing exactly the same piece of clothing as you or sporting one of the exact same accessories? The chances of this happening when you shop local craft fairs is so much less because the items you are purchasing are not mass produced and therefore tend to be much more unique.
2. The opportunity to support small businesses. Don’t get us wrong, we’ll be the first to say how much we love places like Target and Costco but supporting small businesses can be very rewarding. Oftentimes, crafters and vendors at craft shows are pursuing their dream by attempting to promote and sell an item that was created with the utmost love and that comes from the very bottom of their hearts (we speak from personal experience here). Helping someone pursue their dreams and continue to do something they love is always awesome, no matter what.
3. Good food. At all of the craft fairs we’ve been to, there has usually always been some yummy food on the premises. There’s generally something fresh being cooked up or some delicious packaged baked goods to take home.
4. Getting to know the person who created the item you are purchasing. Most of us usually do not have the opportunity to meet the designer who created the items we buy. That’s why it’s extra special to be able to meet and interact with the person who created the things you purchase at craft fairs. You can learn about the inspiration behind their items as well as their suggestions on which of their items would be the best bet for you. Talk about a personalized shopping experience!
5. Support a local cause. Many craft fairs support local organizations or donate proceeds to worthy causes. They are a great way to give back to your community.
If you’re in the Southern California area, come visit us on Saturday April 12, 2014 at the Business Alliance of Orange County’s annual Spring Boutique and see for yourself all the many things there are to love about craft fairs! We’ll be featuring our Pretty in Gingham aprons along with a few other speciality items that we have in the works. We would love to see you there!